It’s not a myth; as temperature rates start to rise, you can expect crime rates to start to rise as well, according to data from the FBI. Keeping your home, vehicle or business protected from theft should be at the top of your priority list, especially as spring rolls around.
At Mike’s Lock Shop, the leading provider of commercial locksmith services in Philadelphia, we want you to possess the knowledge and locking systems to be safe. Read on to learn five statistics that may shock you from the FBI’s report on burglary rates in the United States.
- The average loss is larger than you think. Think about all of the valuables in your home. How much would you lose if a burglar was given access to your possessions? The average loss is about $2,200 per break-in, totaling around $4.7 billion in damages annually.
- One in every 36 homes will be broken into. Though crimes rates still show a downward trend, burglaries are still more common than most people think. One in every 36 homes will be burglarized this year, and break-ins can happen everywhere in the United States.
- There is no “standard identity” of a burglar. Contrary to popular belief, anyone can be a burglar. Though burglars don’t always have to be scary men wearing ski masks, most burglars are males in their late teens or early 20’s. They can be from any area, hold any socio-economic status, and be of any ethnicity and race.
- You’re most likely to be burglarized while you are at work. Forget the outdated notion that burglars sneak into your home in the dead of night! Research suggests that 65% of burglaries occur between the hours of 6 am and 6 pm — the times when you are most likely to be working and out of the house.
- Most burglars enter through the doors. You don’t need to notice a broken window or smashed screen door to realize that you’ve been the victim of a burglary. 32% of burglars let themselves in via the front door, which means that it’s especially important to make sure that you have secured locks and alarms on this entry point.
In the United States, a burglary occurs once every 15 seconds — don’t let your home or business be next. Call Mike’s Lock Shop today at 215-495-0133 to learn about ways to protect what’s most important to you or hire a locksmith in Montgomeryville, PA.